Setting up a Donor Advised Fund
Donor Advised Funds are charitable giving accounts. They are simple and less-expensive alternative to private foundations. They are flexible tools for individuals, families, businesses, or groups who want to be personally involved in making grants to nonprofits, churches, or government entities. Donor Advised Funds also provide a greater level of privacy or anonymity if desired.
How It Works
- You make a donation of cash, appreciated stock, real estate, or other assets to the Community Foundation.
- We set up a Donor Advised Fund that can be named as you choose.
- You receive tax benefits, to the full extent allowed by law, in the year your donation is made to create your Donor-Advised Fund or to add additional amounts subsequently. Donating appreciated assets (e.g. stock) allows you to avoid capital gains taxes thus maximizing the value of your charitable gift.
- Your Donor Advised Fund is invested to preserve the initial capital while providing growth of the fund over time, and these gains are also available for your distribution.
- For accounts of $50,000 or more, you may recommend the investment manager for your fund.
- At any time, you may “advise” the Community Foundation to make gifts from your fund to support the causes and organizations you care about most. These gifts may be made in your name, in the name of your Donor Advised Fund, or anonymously.
- We handle all of the administrative details, while you enjoy the impact of your philanthropy.
By the Numbers
*As of December 2016