Summer Adventures in Learning (SAIL) is a collective impact project that works to overcome summer learning loss. It brings funders together with program providers, the three local school districts, The Schools Foundation, and the Community Foundation to work collaboratively to improve student outcomes.
Data shows that summer learning loss accounts for nearly two-thirds of the ninth grade achievement gap in reading. This achievement gap disproportionately impacts low-income students, in part due to the "opportunity gap" with regard to access to summer enrichment opportunities. The good news is that participation in an effective summer learning program can not only reverse this learning loss and yield learning gains instead, but it can also benefit the child for at least two years afterwards.
Through the SAIL partnership, funders commit to using a joint application process for nonprofit organizations seeking grant support to add or enhance consistent academic components to summer youth programs.
The Schools Foundation and the Community Foundation are partnering to provide backbone support for this collective impact project. The six SAIL program sites for summer 2018 include the following:
- Boys & Girls Clubs of North Alabama's STEAM Lit Program, in collaboration with Huntsville City Schools, located at J.E. Williams Elementary School/Williams Boys & Girls Club
- Heart of the Valley YMCA’s BELL Power Scholars Academy and Y Readers Programs, in collaboration with The C.A.R.E. Center, located at Madison County Elementary School
- Heart of the Valley YMCA’s BELL Power Scholars Academy and Y Readers Programs, in collaboration with The C.A.R.E. Center, located at Owens Cross Roads Elementary School
- Huntsville City Schools' Bridges to Learning Leadership Academy Program, in collaboration with American Baseball Foundation, located at Providence Elementary School
- Madison City Schools’ English Learner SAIL Program, in collaboration with Heart of the Valley YMCA, located at Madison Elementary School
- Village of Promise’s Freedom School, in collaboration with the Children's Defense Fund, located at Sonnie Hereford Elementary School
CLICK HERE for the 2019 SAIL grant application. Application deadline: September 28, 2018 (5:00 p.m.)